Parking is prohibited at parking metered spaces on York, Frederick, East & West Baltimore Streets between the hours of 5:00 A.M. and 10:00 A.M. Vehicles that are not moved during this time period will be issued a parking citation. Street Sweeping is done monthly and takes place on the third Monday of each month. Residents may park their vehicles on the municipal parking lot on Record Lane or in the rear parking lot of the Police Station. Thank you for your corporation.
Trash & Recycling
Project Type: Weekly Service
Start Date: 1/1/18
Completion Date: 12/31/18
HOLIDAY COLLECTION SCHEDULE:
Ecology Services Refuse & Recycling will be under contract to collect trash and recycling. Collection day will continue to take place on Wednesdays. There will be no change to collection during Holiday weeks unless the holiday falls on a Wednesday, in that case collection will move to Thursday.
Please report missed recycling or trash collection to Ecology Services Refuse & Recycling (866) 427-8389 or the Public Works Department (410) 751-1100 as soon as possible.
Please note: Trash collection is for household garbage only. The City’s hauling company will not collect yard waste material or bulk items.
Information about Taneytown's recycle container program and a list of acceptable recyclables.
BULK TRASH – SATURDAY, MAY 5, 2018:
From 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. the City will provide compaction trucks and dumpsters at Taneytown Memorial Park for the removal of bulk trash. Citizens are asked to observe the following procedures:
- Citizens will be responsible for bringing their trash to the park for disposal.
- All persons who are dumping material will be required to show proper ID to the attendants, before they can drop off their items. Only citizens of Taneytown will be allowed to dispose of trash. All others will be turned away.
- Please do not leave trash in the park after hours specified above. The trash disposal service will only operate during these hours.
- Vehicles transporting bulk trash for disposal must be limited to passenger vehicles and pickup trucks. Larger trucks should haul their items directly to the Carroll County Landfill.
- All items containing oil and/or gas must be drained.
- The attendant will direct you to dedicated dumpsters for metal items and appliances.
- There will be one compaction truck designated for all other acceptable recyclable items, which includes little tyke play equipment, plastic trash cans, etc.
- To keep the flow of traffic moving, all recycling items should be separated before entering the drop-off area.
- Dirt, sod, tires, propane tanks, paint, concrete debris or chemicals of any type will not be accepted.
- Yard waste will be limited to grass clippings, flower & shrubbery trimmings only, and must be placed in paper— kraft bags.
This will be the only bulk trash event for 2018, so please have your unwanted items ready for disposal this spring.
Water, Sewer, & Street Emergencies
The Department of Public Works (DPW) is available 24/7 to address after-hour water, sewer, & street emergencies. To report a problem:
- Call the City Office at (410) 751-1100
- Follow the voice prompts and leave your name, phone number, and a brief message
- Your message will be forwarded to the DPW
Calls concerning water shut-off for nonpayment of water and sewer bills cannot be handled by the DPW after-hours. You must take care of this issue during normal business hours, Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 4:30 PM
Yard Waste Collection
Project Type: Annual
Start Date: 4/1/18
Completion Date: 12/5/18 (Last day for leaf & yard waste pickup)
YARD WASTE: Beginning in April and continuing through November, the Public Works Department will again pick up grass clippings on Tuesdays. You must call the City Office no later than 3 p.m. Monday to schedule for pick up the next day. Currently there are no charges to Carroll County residents for disposal of yard waste, at the County Landfill in Westminster (410) 386-4550:
- Please place your bags at the curb by 7:30 a.m., the morning of pick up.
- Yard waste must be placed in paper— kraft bags only.
- Please limit the weight of bags so they can easily be lifted for loading and unloading without bag breakage.
- This service is limited to grass clippings, flower & shrubbery trimmings only. Please do not dispose of dirt, sod, thistle, or household garbage.
Recycling Container Notice
Project Type: Weekly Service
The 64 gallon blue recycling containers the city had purchased are for recycling only. The containers are not to be used for trash, and shall not be altered in any way. The containers are the property of the City Taneytown, and must remain at the address at which they were placed; indefinitely
As we head into summer, spending time outdoors with family and friends, gathering together for picnics, please remember to recycle as many items as possible. The 64 gallon container the city has provided for recycling allows the necessary space for easy disposal. The city pays a tipping fee for household garbage that is taken to landfill, but not for recycling items that are collected separately. The more we recycle, the more we can save. Carroll County has recently approved, a tipping fee increase from $62.00 to $64.00 per ton.
Stormwater Drainage Inlets
Please do not sweep or blow grass and debris into the street. This practice can block downstream storm water inlet grates and pipes causing storm water to backup into the street, creating flooding conditions. Also, please report anyone seen dumping materials into the storm water drainage system, by contacting the Taneytown Police Department (410-751-1150) or the City Office (410-751-1100). It could be contaminating our environment.
The City of Taneytown makes every effort to be responsive to a resident's needs and concerns when a sewer backup occurs. As with many other municipalities, the City cannot assume responsibility for sewerage and water damage caused by sewer backups. The City routinely cleans and televises sewer mains. Unfortunately, because a sewer is not a closed secured system, many things put into the sewer can clog the system. Factors that can cause backups are: grease, disposable diapers, tree roots, and other foreign items disposed of through the sewer system. These items should be discarded in your household garbage.
FIRE HYDRANT FLUSHING
The City’s Water Department will be Flushing fire hydrants in the areas listed below. City hydrants are flushed regularly to ensure they are in working order for fire protection, and to remove sediment in pipes. These sediments, which do not pose a health concern, are comprised mostly of minerals which have accumulated over time. The annual flushing program helps to keep fresh and clear water throughout the distribution system. Customers may notice a slight drop in water pressure or temporary water discoloration. Restaurants and those using washing machines are cautioned to check their water supply. If tap water does become discolored, turn on several cold-water faucets to run for a short time until the water runs clear. Using more than one faucet allows the water to clear faster.
Monday, May 7 through Friday, May 11, 2018:
East Baltimore St, Trevanion Rd, Trevanion Terrace, Kings Dr, Kings Ct, Courier Dr, Courier Ct, Grand Dr, Cambridge Ct, Dunkle Ct, Saddletop Dr, Ponytail Lane, Butterfly Dr, Hayride Lane, Horseshoe Lane, Clubside Dr, Windy Hills Dr, Starboard Dr, Starboard Ct, Zephyr Ct, Carnival Dr, Fairground Ave, First St, Second St, Third St, Fourth St, Monocacy Circle, Divern St, George St, Franklin St, Broad St, Courtland St, Antrim St, Canoe Ct, Bancroft St, Kenan St in Copperfield, Morning Frost St, Huntinghorn Ct, Huntinghorn St, Bison St, Bentley St in Roberts Mill Run, Chevro Dr, Breakiron St, Water Run St, and Amicus St.
Monday, May 14 through Friday, May 18, 2018:
Carroll Heights Dr, Bankard Terrace, Taney Heights Dr, Taney Dr, Taney Cts, Roberts Mill Rd, Roth Ave, Spring Dr, Baumgardner Ave, O’Brien Ave, Tuscarora Trail, Cherry Oak Ct, Clover Ct, Daisy Dr, Berry Ct, Red Tulip Ct, Chestnut Ct, Warehouse Alley, Benner Lane, Mill Ave, Frederick St, Allendale Lane, West Baltimore St, Memorial Dr, Harney Rd, York St, Middle St, Fairview Ave, Blue Ridge Ave, Commerce St, Maryland Ave, Ridge Ave, Reaverton Ave, Pumphouse Rd, Westview Dr, Kenan and Bentley Streets in Meadowbrook, Colbert St, Kwanzan St, Crimson Ave and Bowie Mill Ave.
Utility Paint Markings & MISS Utility
Project Type: FYI
The law requires contractors and property owners to call Miss Utility (800-257-7777) before excavating, trenching, or digging underground. Should you see paint markings on your property, sidewalk, or street, please be aware each color identifies an underground utility such as:
- RED for electric
- ORANGE for cable and communications
- BLUE for water
- GREEN for sewers and drains
- WHITE for proposed excavation
The City of Taneytown is responsible for locating water, sewer, and City-owned storm drains and streetlights. Examples of when to contact Miss Utility:
- Installing mailboxes, fences, or flagpoles
- Installing or replacing a driveway or sidewalk
- Planting of shrubs and trees
This law protects the utilities and more importantly the safety of the individuals performing the work. Should you cause damage to any utility and failed to call Miss Utility, you will be responsible for repair cost, and you may be fined as well. Please be reminded that property owners are not notified prior to utility locating and marking of their property. The paint will fade away over time.